As a vehicle for entry into the land profession, a person may apply to be certified as a Registered Landman. All applicants for RL certification must be active members of AAPL and must maintain their membership in order to maintain their RL certification. The applicant must be sponsored by an RPL or a CPL. Family members may not be sponsors. The application will be reviewed by the Director of Education and referred to the Certification Committee for approval.
A RL shall have only one (1) year from the time of qualifying to apply for RPL status in which to achieve designation as an RPL, at such time certification as an RL will automatically terminate whether the RL has obtained certification as an RPL or not.
AAPL’s Registered Landman (RL) designation is the basic-level form of certification offered by AAPL. By meeting the requirement below, a RL signifies a fundamental knowledge of the land profession as well as a Landman’s commitment to furthering their education.
Download the RL Application Revised June 2015 or see your printed membership directory for a more detailed description of the requirements of RL certification.
RL Application Requirements
- Be an active member of AAPL. Student and associate members, division order and lease analysts are not eligible to apply for the RL certification
- Be primarily engaged, on a full-time basis in the active performance of Landwork
- Be sponsored by a CPL or RPL who must submit an applicant sponsor verification form conjointly with your application
- Submit the RL application in its entirety with the $75 non-refundable application fee
- The entire application process must be completed within one hundred-twenty (120) days from the date that the application is received by AAPL, and
- Complete and submit the RL take-home exam.
The RL examination is an open-book exam that the applicant completes using the Review Guide included with the exam and any other available resources. The exam covers the very fundamentals of Landwork, including real property law, contract law, conveyancing, the oil and gas lease and ethics. The exam is intended to be a part of the learning experience for a new Landman. The exam is sent to the applicant upon receipt of the completed application and required fee. The completed exam must be returned to AAPL for grading within 45 days of application submission.
The RL application fee is $75. There is no RL recertification fee. All applicable certification, recertification and record maintenance fees will be established by the Executive Committee of AAPL by a majority vote of those present and may be changed as deemed appropriate by that same body.
A RL shall have an educational requirement of five (5) educational credits per year, which shall be earned by attending educational courses, seminars and/or institutes dealing solely with energy or mineral land topics that have been approved by AAPL for such educational credit.