Executive Vice President’s Message: AAPL and COVID-19
During this COVID-19 pandemic, I hope that you and your loved ones are staying healthy and safe. This has been a trying time for many, especially those on the front lines as essential employees. We are thankful for those who continue to keep the basic infrastructure of our society in operation. During this time many of us are under stay-at-home orders to help stop the spread of the virus. And, while this virus has wreaked havoc in our daily lives, it has united us to come together as a nation to do our part in saving lives.
AAPL started back in 1955 to unite landmen from across the nation. We continue to support the profession 65 years later with certification, professional development and standards of performance for all land professionals. However, we know that landmen are facing unprecedented times with the state of the industry and the pandemic.
AAPL leadership has made some important decisions recently to help ensure that the association meets your professional needs.
During the last few months, we have made the following adjustments for AAPL members:
- Voted against increasing the membership dues from $125 to $150 — an increase that was approved in 2017 to take effect this year.
- Increased access to online education by extending the length of access to webinars from 90 days to one year from date of purchase.
- Offered complimentary education to members via monthly webinars and are now making those courses complimentary to members to complete on their own schedule as on-demand webinars.
- Increased our online education presence with new webinars.
- The board of directors voted to approve changes to the definition of landwork, which has yet to be voted by the members. This change, if approved, will expand our focus as an association into other types of energy-related landwork.
- Signed a contract to implement a new and improved job board for members, which will provide additional career-related information, such as networking, interviewing, resumes, and more.
- Tracked — and continue to track — more than 152 bills that may impact landmen.
- Encouraged Active Members to take advantage of the Professional Development Assistance Program, which provides up to $300. Since July 1, 2019, AAPL has provided $27,315 on professional development assistance.
- Provided extensions for all members scheduled to take their certification exams or retests.
We know it is a difficult time for many of our members — both in-house and independent. Unfortunately, we do not have all the answers, but we do care. We are making decisions that benefit our members and will continue to do so because our members matter.
If you have any questions or if we can be of service to you, please reach out to one of our staff members or email us at email@example.com.
Stay safe and healthy.
Greta Zeimetz, DBA, CAE
Executive Vice President